The cornerstone for the building that is referred to as the Carnegie Center was laid on August 19, 1903. The building project was funded with a $30,000 gift from the Andrew Carnegie Building Foundation, along with support from the local community. Shortly thereafter, the building opened as Lorain Public Library — a true Carnegie Library for the city.

One hundred and ten years later, in August of 2013, the Lorain Historical Society collaborated with the City of Lorain, Lorain City Council and the Lorain Port Authority to acquire ownership of this building. It is now home to the administrative offices, community meeting room, gift shop, historic display center and education center of the Lorain Historical Society.

The building is open to the public for tours, shopping in the gift shop or research on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.